Align, focus, and engage for better results
Ally is a lightweight tool that makes using Objectives and Key Results (OKR) incredibly easy and intuitive, right from within Slack.
TRY IT FOR FREE:
No credit card required. Cancel anytime.
Boost productivity with OKRs
Your leadership team has identified the organization’s top priorities. As a department head, it’s now your job to set departmental goals that support these overall objectives. At the same time, you’re responsible for ensuring that teams and individuals reporting up to you have clarity on what they own and how it aligns to the department’s priorities. That initial goal setting can be hard enough, but as new information comes in and the company changes course and priorities, you need to continually adjust your department’s goals to match—all while being pulled in a hundred directions.
Keeping everyone working on what matters, getting reports from them, and reporting up to senior leadership is a headache and time suck for department heads. Weekly check-ins with each member of a department are not realistic, and department leaders are left struggling with difficult questions:
- How do I keep my department aligned with the organization’s top priorities?
- What’s the best way to set and keep track of objectives for both teams and individuals within my department?
- How do I avoid my team wasting effort on outdated projects, and instead make sure they are working to the most current priorities?
- How can I get the information I need from my team in order to communicate it up to senior management?
- How can I communicate company-wide and departmental priority changes to my team?
The OKR methodology
Many departments have adopted the Objectives and Key Results (OKR) methodology made famous by Google and Twitter. Using OKR, organizational goals cascade down to department, team, and individual goals keeping everyone aligned. Meanwhile, progress is reported from the bottom up providing accountability and transparency. With OKR, individual team members are more engaged and energized, because they see how their work makes a difference to the organization.
Departments that are just getting started with OKRs often try to manage them using spreadsheets, but quickly run into problems:
- Managing multiple spreadsheets is unwieldy and quickly becomes impractical.
- Cascading goals and rolling up updates is cumbersome at best.
- Collecting up-to-date information on progress requires lots of time and effort, and information is outdated by the time it is reviewed.
- Spreadsheets provide no easy way to give ongoing feedback.
Some organizations and departments swing the other way and use over-engineered tools that are expensive, require extra training, and distract the team by making them switch to yet-another tool.
Ally is built with departments in mind
Spreadsheets and heavyweight tools are too cumbersome for departments that need full participation by every member of the team. Ally was built with departments in mind to make it super easy to access and manage your OKRs.
Ally is an intuitive and easy-to-use tool that allows departments to:
- Stay focused and in alignment with the organization’s overall goals.
- See real-time progress on monthly/quarterly/annual priorities, and use that information to drive focus and course correct.
- Engage the entire department by enabling members to see how their contributions are helping the organization grow.
- Transparently share information throughout your department and to upper management all at once.
It’s easy for a department to get out of alignment with its own goals as teams and individuals go different directions. Departments can also get out of alignment with the company’s overall direction if they fail to adjust to new priorities. Ally is designed with department managers in mind to give them an easy way to keep everyone on the same page.
- Intuitive and ridiculously easy-to-use. Document and share your department’s priorities and objectives within 15 minutes.
- Integrated with Slack. Creating, tracking, and updating OKRs seamlessly integrates into your workday with no need to open yet another program or tool.
- Built-in OKR best practices reduce the overhead of managing OKRs and help you successfully adopt the OKR framework.
- Intelligent Alerts identify objectives that need attention before it’s too late.
“We were managing our goals using PowerPoint and it was very time-consuming. Ally has made it much easier to manage our annual and quarterly objectives, brought more transparency and continuous focus while saving tons of time spent updating the PowerPoint decks every week.
We are thrilled with Ally. Based on how well it has worked for my marketing department, other departments in the company have started using Ally!”
VP of Marketing, Shiftboard