July 12, 2020
As you set, work towards, and eventually review your OKRs
, you’ll have a number of questions. These OKR questions will relate to several aspects of OKRs, which include how to set them, what makes for good OKRs, and retrospective questions. Below you’ll find a series of OKR questions that you’ll want to consider and ask before, during, and after your review process.
OKR questions to ask before you write your OKRs
As you prepare your OKRs for the quarter or year, you’ll want to get started by asking these three questions:
- What do we want to achieve?
- How will we align the company and departments to our overall goals?
- What are our exact plans to make progress against what we want to achieve?
- How are we going to measure our progress and achievements (metrics and KPIs)?
Is your team getting ready to write OKRs? Make sure to read the link below to learn how to write effective OKRs.
[Read More: How to Write OKRs]
OKR survey and discussion questions
During the quarter or year, you’ll want to periodically checkin with your team to evaluate their current status on OKRs. Below you’ll find a number of OKR discussion questions that you can use, and can serve as topics for an OKR meeting
- Are your quarterly OKRs on track? If not, what can you do about it?
- What’s the main blocker standing in your way from hitting your OKRs?
- Where do you need help to hit your OKRs?
- Are you properly resourced to achieve your key results?
OKR retrospective questions
An OKR retrospective is when you review your OKRs, either in a monthly, quarterly, or yearly review. During the retrospective, you ask questions to uncover how performance, what went well, and what could be improved. Below you’ll find a series of OKR retrospective questions that you should ask.
- What went well this quarter? Did we set the bar too high? Too low?
- What did not go well in terms of your OKRs?
- Did our set objectives capture the team’s intent and direction for the quarter?
- What have you learned in the last quarter related to your OKRs and performance?
- Where could we improve next quarter?
- Were we adequately prepared and properly resourced to achieve the key results and objectives for the quarter?
- Is there anything that still puzzles you about your performance last quarter?
- What did you learn from your OKR score this month?
Final thoughts: OKR questions
Asking the right questions throughout the OKR process is essential to finding success. As your team continues to leverage OKRs for performance management
, it’s helpful to use the right OKR tools
. Learn more about Ally.io’s best-in-class OKR tools, and get your free trial here